If you are currently looking for a job, and we are assuming that you are, you are probably feeling a variety of emotions. Excited, nervous, overwhelmed … these are all common emotions when you are in the labor market. The more you know about the strategies that work, the better your chances are that you will find the job you have always been looking for.
– If you have difficulty finding a job, try changing the strategy you are using to search. The fact that many places are not hiring doesn’t mean you should give up. Go to places you would not have before, and make sure you can get there easily if you get the job. Don’t get a job that’s 50 miles away if you don’t have a car.
– If there is a particular company you are interested in working for, do not hesitate to contact them directly to see what they have available. There may be some jobs available that they have not had the opportunity to publicly announce. Getting in touch with them immediately can give you some advantage.
– Join professional organizations that are related to your industry. This is a good way to spread your name and boost your business network. Your membership in a professional organization gives you additional credentials in your resume that can make a positive difference in a hiring manager’s decision to hire you. The way I used to do it was I would go to towns near me and sign up and become a member of their township business club. Almost every town has one… go and find it and enroll. There are many other people there that might open their doors to someone that is a member of their own club.
– If you have a difficult interview coming up, participate in at least one practice interview with someone you respect. This can be with a teacher or a member of your family, so you can prepare for the pressure of the actual interview. This will help relieve stress on the big day.
– When looking for work, make sure you have a LinkedIn account created and complete your profile in its entirety. Even if you are not “on” social networks, this is important. Many companies use LinkedIn as a selection system before calling someone for an interview. If you do not have a profile, you can never take that first step through the door.
– If your work can be done day or night, offer flexible hours. This will expand the group of employees that you are choosing and, when there are more candidates available, it is better to get better employees. This will also make your employee feel that he is more free to set his schedule and live his life as needed.
– Be sure to inform your friends and acquaintances that you are in the job search. You may know vacancies in your field or they may suggest contacts you have not thought of. Many people have found a job this way, and you could be next!
The search to find a meaningful and satisfying job can be daunting. But if you can incorporate some of these ideas into your search, you are now in a much better position to achieve your employment goal! You are on the way to having the tools you need to accomplish this feat!